Monday, December 3, 2007

Lost Sock: Ultra Orange & Emmanuelle


I know very little about this band other than they are French and Emmanuelle is married to Roman Polanski. However, I want to tell how I came to find this band. A new movie by artist turned director
Julian Schnabel came out last week. It is titled The Diving Bell and The Butterfly after the amazing and uplifting memoir written by Jean-Dominique Bauby. In the trailer for the film, which I must say is a great example of an effective trailer that doesn't reveal the entire story, there are three separate pieces of music used. The second one in the trailer is by Ultra Orange and Emmanuelle. I heard this 20 second sample and immediately needed to know who it was by. After a good long search I discovered this band and the song's title "Don't Kiss Me Goodbye." To describe them easily, they sound a lot like The Velvet Underground with Nico. But that isn't a fair description in that it makes their music seem like a copy. They have only one self titled album as far as I can find. The album has a good collection of songs that encapsulate the hazy, mod streets of Paris in the 60's. This is music that is cinematic and atmospheric. Check them out and listen to "Sing Sing," a great track, at: http://www.myspace.com/ultraorangeemmanuelle

No comments: